The Parliamentary Assembly held a side event on the margins of the OSCE Ministerial Council on 3 December as part of its ongoing efforts to generate political impetus and raise public awareness to counter the decline of multilateralism affecting the OSCE. At the virtual event, the Assembly put forward its “OSCE Call for Action: Reaffirming a Common Purpose” initiative, endorsed by dozens of former OSCE Chairpersons-in-Office, Presidents of the OSCE PA, Secretaries General and other Heads of Institutions of the OSCE. This initiative intends to serve as a springboard to revitalize the Organization, in light of its current leadership crisis, to create conditions for a renewed high-level political momentum for participating States to implement their commitments across all three dimensions of security.
– Welcoming remarks by OSCE PA President George Tsereteli.
– Presentation of the OSCE Call for Action initiative by Ambassador Lamberto Zannier, OSCE PA High-level Expert.
– Introductory remarks by Ben Cardin, Senator, OSCE PA Member, United States
– Introductory remarks by Kent Härstedt, Ambassador, Former Vice President of the OSCE PA, Sweden
– Introductory remarks by Kanat Saudabayev, Former Minister of Foreign Affairs and OSCE Chairperson-in-Office, Kazakhstan
– Open debate
– Q&A with accredited journalists